Tuesday, September 10, 2013
In yesterday’s Modern Masters Metallic Paint giveaway post I gave you a little peak at the rustic industrial piece I made-over a couple weekends ago. Today I am sharing more pictures and giving you some details on how I turned this piece into what you see above.
This is how it all started
I was out “thrifting” and decided to go into this store called Santiago’s Collectibles in the Tower District in Fresno. I almost didn’t go in. It was hot outside. I’d been driving and walking around to stores all day. I was sweating, tired, thirsty, and just ready to go home. Honestly, I parked, decided to not go in, drove away, then turned around and re-parked, and still debated on going in. No joke. I don’t know why I actually decided to go in since I really just wanted to go home, but I am so glad I did. The store had two rooms. I didn’t see anything in the first room that really spoke to me, but as soon as I went into the second room I saw an awesome table I knew could be made into a dining table, and then I saw this piece. It was fate. No really, it was. How often does a person find two rustic industrial style pieces just days after telling their husband how badly they wanted to change up their kitchen and dining area and go rustic industrial with it?
I immediately asked for prices on both pieces and was so happy they were within an actual range I could spend. This piece ended up costing me $80. For $20 they delivered it and the table to our house, and helped bring them inside. Seriously, best second hand salvage store I have ever been to.
After getting it home I knew I had some work to do on it. The first thing I did was take of the legs, and add 3 inch caster wheels I bought at Lowe’s. Each wheel was about $7.50. I bought the 3 inch wheels with brakes because even though it’s a heavy piece, with our two kiddos you can never be too careful.
The next thing I did was start cleaning the piece off and out. I pulled out all the drawers, vacuumed and wiped them out, took off the hardware, scraped the blue tape off of the pulls, sanded them, cleaned them, and painted them. (You can read that post here.) Then I worked on sanding the actual bulky piece. I knew I was going to paint it with chalk paint, and didn’t really need to sand the paint in order for the chalk paint to stick to the piece, but this piece was old and had some splintered wood on parts of it and I wasn’t taking any chances of not smoothing those out. So while I had the sand paper out I did a quick, light sanding over the whole body of it. I didn’t sand the drawers, just the body. After sanding, I wiped it clean with wet wipes. Then I started painting it.
I went back and forth on color choices, asked for suggestions, and then decided to go with colors I kept thinking and dreaming about. I painted the piece first with CeCe Caldwell’s Chalk Paint in the color Vermont Slate. I bought the paint from a local Clovis retailer called The Urban Edge.
It was dark when I was painting it, but dried much lighter.
(It’s not until you put wax on it, that it changes back to the darker color.) I painted the whole body of the piece with just a small sample size of the paint. It was my first time using CeCe Caldwell’s Chalk Paint, so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I really liked it. It went on really smooth, and I was able to stretch the paint with water, just like I do when I use Annie Sloan’s. For those of you not wanting to by a whole quart of paint, I really suggest buying sample size colors so that you can try out the colors and not get stuck painting multiple pieces all the same color because you still have a lot of paint left over. A sample size of the CeCe Caldwell’s paint was $10.80, but it allowed me to paint the whole piece in the dark gray “base coat” I wanted it to have.
I then went over the whole piece with Antibes Green Chalk Paint from Annie Sloan. Again I used a sample size to paint the whole piece and the drawers. I bought the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint from a local retailer also, Urban Up-Cycle, who is stocked by 3 Oaks Studios. I believe the sample size for Annie Sloan cost me about $12. I also used water to stretch the Antibes Green, and I painted 1 light coat over the Vermont Slate, letting it come through some areas more than others.
Once the piece was painted, and the handles were put back on I knew I had created the piece I had been thinking about in my head. I did one light coat of clear wax, waited 24 hours and then buffed it out. I only did 1 coat of wax because this piece is made to take a little wear and tear and still look good.
The green just makes me happy. It brings so much color into the dining area, and I can’t wait for it to brighten up the winter days here.
I love all of the knicks, and holes, and scratches the piece had on it too. Its imperfections just mean there’s lots of character, and that it fits the rustic industrial style perfectly.
Tomorrow I’ll show you why the insides of the drawers make me as happy as the outsides.