As soon as the weather cooled down a bit I was in the mood for soup. But with my gallbladder issues and diet restrictions I couldn’t make some of my favorites like turkey chili, or southwestern chicken. Instead I decided to make a grain free vegetable soup that was hearty enough to make me not miss meat or grains.
The best part about this soup is, the “set it and forget it” factor. It can be made in the crockpot where all of the ingredients get tossed in, and there’s just an occasional stir or adding of seasoning or salt. And if you’re not vegan, and want to add a little twist to the soup, I’ve got that covered too. One great recipe, with just one ingredient to change it up.
HEARTY VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE- GRAIN FREE, VEGAN/VEGETARIAN OPTION
- 4-5 carrots (peeled and chopped into smaller cubes or slices)
- 3-4 stalks of celery (chopped into pieces)
- 1/2 of a white onion (diced)
- 3-4 cups rutabaga (peeled and chopped into smaller cubes)
- 3-4 medium red potatoes (chopped into smaller cubes)
- 3-4 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 large or 2 medium zucchinis/yellow squash (chopped)
- 8 cups of vegetable broth (I use Pacific Foods Low Sodium Vegetable broth)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (minced/crushed)
- 2-3 teaspoons of thyme
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- 2-3 teaspoons of parsley
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5-6 ounces of cream cheese (this is only if you are doing the vegetarian option, not vegan)
- Add all your ingredients (except the cream cheese) to your crockpot and set on high for 6 hours. Stir them around to mix everything together.
- After about 4-5 hours check the soup and see if it needs any additional seasoning or salt. If it needs additional seasoning you can add more thyme or oregano or salt and pepper. Stir the soup around and put the lid back on.
- After 5.5 hours the soup should be done or close to it. If you want to add the cream cheese to the soup this is the time to do it. Add the cream cheese and stir well until it has melted into the soup. Cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Serve while hot. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.